How we started
Vestigo started in the Spring of 2015, while the founders, Marshall Mosher and Daniel McBrayer, were still in school at the University of Georgia. Marshall and Daniel dreamed about having a place online to find everything you could want to do outside, complete with someone to guide you in that activity. So they decided to build it.
They were in the first graduating class of the UGA accelerator program. During the summer of 2015, while Daniel built the beta version of the site, Marshall attended Singularity University in Silicon Valley. The beta launched in September of 2015.
What we believe
We believe that people are happiest when they are most active. We also believe that doing something outside is the best way to be active. We think that if we can show more people the joy of the great outdoors, then we’ll be making a meaningful difference in their lives.
Our mission is to give people a way to be more active by making the great outdoors more accessible. Our secondary mission is to provide a more sustainable and guide-friendly marketplace for outdoor enthusiasts to find work.
Our core values
- Never stop exploring - There are too many good things in the world to always be satisfied with what you know. We believe in trying new things.
- The outdoors are for everyone - You don’t have to have dreadlocks and Chacos to love being outside. Everyone can find something that they love to do in the great outdoors.
- Take care of what you have - We love the outdoors, and we believe that all people have a responsibility to take care of it.
If you want to go on a trip...
Easy. Go to our site and find a trip that you like. You can filter by activity or search by trip leader. Sign up for said trip, and then go. Rinse, repeat.
Most of our trips are located in the Southeast USA, but we’re expanding that as fast as we can. You can help us grow! See below for the path to lead a trip.
If you want to lead a trip...
Also easy. Fill out the form here. Then we’ll contact you to make sure you’re a great fit. Once approved, you’ll get access to our trip leader planning portal where you can set up a trip and list it on our site. That part is absolutely free. If people sign up for your trips, Vestigo keeps just 20% of the trip revenue to cover our costs. Everything else goes to you.
With Vestigo, you’ll get a platform to list your trips that goes wherever you are, and that doesn’t have the massive overhead that most guiding services have.
A few caveats, though:
- Our platform lets us effectively promote your trip, but there’s still some marketing that you’ll want to do to have the most impact. We can show you how.
- You will want to carry your own insurance to cover you in case there’s an accident on your trip. In most cases, we can connect you with relatively low cost insurance for that.
- Some parks require permits to engage in any kind of outdoor activity. Please check into that before listing your trip.
- For now, we’re keeping our trips low risk - that means that the bar for listing things like climbing, diving, whitewater kayaking, etc. is a bit higher. But if you’re an experienced guide in these areas, we’d love to talk! Email us here.
You can be a part of our misssion.